Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Shadows on the Wall: Episode 69

  

Before continuing, you may enjoy revisiting our original 50th anniversary summary and commentary: https://dsb4idie.blogspot.com/2016/09/episode-69-92966.html


Then & Now

John: I hadn't observed it before, but Mrs. Johnson has a bit of the look of Mrs. Dudley from Robert Wise's adaptation of Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House.

I kept waiting for Roger to walk in on Joe and Carolyn canoodling in his office. They're lucky Louis Edmonds had the day off today...

Christine: I would have enjoyed seeing Carolyn have a more dramatic and jealous reaction to Burke calling her Vicki. 

One of my favorite discoveries in these early episodes is learning that Mrs. Johnson began her job at Collinwood as a mole. Who would have guessed how well suited she was for that job?


Shadows on the Wall

John: Mrs. Johnson was really heartbroken that the watch Bill loved so much was broken. Imagine being so jealous of a watch.

Christine: The ship in a glass dome has apparently taken another cruise around Roger's office. I wonder where it will turn up next. 

Today's episode

Episode 68

When Joe walked into Roger's office and saw the back of the office chair facing him, I had a brief flashback to a similar scene in Carnival of Souls and was anticipating a frightening reveal. 

John: I was going to say the exact same thing! But I felt bringing up The Haunting AND Carnival of Souls in reference to one episode might be considered indulgent... so I'm glad you mentioned it!




What caught your eye? Here are a few more scenes and visual details from the episode…











No comments: