Then & Now
John: It seems like Burke might believe Vicki's interested in more than just his report on her when she pushes him to invite her up to his room.
Christine: I'm seeing Vicki in a whole new light this viewing. Where I once might have perceived her as innocent and naive (Malted Vicki), I now think she's much more enigmatic than that. Burke first decides she's not the sherry type, and then, when she insists on going straight to his hotel room rather than having dinner first, apparently decides she's Champagne Vicki. Perhaps neither label quite fits.
Is her single-minded determination to find answers about her background what has her willing to risk being pawed over by Burke in his hotel room to get the information she wants? Is it possible that Vicki is actually more calculating than Burke gives her credit for?
On my last viewing, I thought it was poor manners when she blew off the steak dinner Burke ordered, but now I wonder if she was actually taking control of the situation rather than allowing Burke to use her desire for information about her parentage to get something in return.
It's too bad that when Burke offered to help her, she didn't think to ask whether he could find a handwriting expert to compare the handwriting on the note of abandonment she was left with at the foundling home to Elizabeth's.
John: Yeah, you'd think if he put his private investigator on her case, they could have gotten to the bottom of things lickety-split!
Shadows on the Wall
John: How many drinks do you think you can get at the Blue Whale for $8 (plus tip) in 1966 dollars?
Christine: Well, shots were 25¢ to 50¢ in 1966, so about 16 to 32 drinks. That's quite a bender!
I couldn't figure out what that oddly shaped item on the table by the couch was in the dark shots of Burke's hotel room, and it was finally revealed in close-up. I'm not sure if it was there while David was visiting, but he may have been too focused on setting Burke up for attempted murder to be distracted by it.
What stood out to you during this viewing of the episode?

















No comments:
Post a Comment